Diploma in Nail Technology
Level 3 (RQF) NQF IE Level 5
1 day per week for 16 weeks
Timetable: 09.30 to 16.00 Thursday's
Aims and Objectives
The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical skills and knowledge in order to provide nail technology treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the beauty therapy and nail industry.
The qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 and over and is designed to provide occupational competence at level 3. It also provides a sound platform into further learning at level 3 or level 4.
This qualification is for learners who want to work within the beauty and nail industry. The qualification consists of 3 mandatory units with a total of 215 hours of Guided Learning (GL) to achieve the full qualification.
The main skills the learner will perform are:
- Care of the nails on the hand including hand massage and application of polish
- Care of the nails on the feet including foot massage and application of polish
Applying and maintaining nail enhancements - liquid and powder, gel and wraps
The learner will also develop knowledge of related health and safety, client care, communication and professional conduct and business awareness which are essential to working and being successful in the beauty and nail industry.
This qualification also provides:
- The related knowledge and understanding required to perform the nail treatments listed above as well as understanding the structures that the learner will be working over. In particular the anatomy and physiology of the skin and nails and common diseases and disorders that my affect when the client should or should not receive treatments
- Opportunities for learners to focus on the development of the wider skills in a beauty therapy and nail setting, such as communicating with clients, working with others and problem solving
- Opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in employment as a nail technician
Opportunities for progression
Once learners have achieved the VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology they may progress on to other VTCT (ITEC) or equivalent qualifications at Level 3 or 4 for example:
- Level 3 Diploma in Beauty, Massage and Electrotherapy
- Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre and Media Make-up
- Level 4 Diploma in Spa and Salon Management
Opportunities for employment
There are opportunities for nail technicians to find employment in a variety of areas:
- Beauty salons
- Health clubs
- Own business
- Cruise liners
To be awarded the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists, learners must achieve all mandatory units.
The minimum GLH required to achieve this qualification is 215 The minimum TQT required to achieve this qualification is 373
All treatment evidence, internal assessments, and underpinning knowledge must be completed prior to the final practical examination.
The final external practical examination will be carried out by the external examiner at the end of the period of learning. The external examiner will also verify a sample of the treatment evidence and internal assessment.