Certificate in Manicure & Pedicure
Level 2 (RQF) NQF IE Level 4
Cost: €1,500 (combo course)
1/2 day per week for 8 weeks
Aims and objectives
The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Certificate in Manicure and Pedicure is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical and theoretical skills in order to provide manicure and pedicure treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the beauty therapy industry. This qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 and over and is designed to provide occupational competence at level 2. It also provides a sound platform into further training at level 2 and 3.
This qualification is for learners who want to work within the beauty industry. The qualification consists of 1 mandatory unit with a total of 50 hours of Guided Learning (GL) to achieve the full qualification.
The main skills the learner will perform are:
Care of the hands and feet–to include nail care, exfoliation, massage and nail painting
The learner will also learn about related health and safety and client care and communication which is essential in order to work and be successful in the industry.
This qualification also provides:
- The related knowledge and understanding required to perform the manicure and pedicure skills listed above effectively in particular the anatomy and physiology of the skin and nails and common diseases and disorders that may affect when a client should or should not receive treatment
- Opportunities for learners to focus on the development of their wider skills in a manicure and pedicure setting, such as communicating with clients, working with others and problem solving
- Opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in employment as a manicurist/pedicurist
Opportunities for progression
- Once learners have achieved the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Certificate in Manicure and Pedicure they may progress on to other VTCT (ITEC) or equivalent qualifications at level 2 or 3 for example:
- Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology
- Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists
- Level 2 Diploma in Nail Art
- Level 2 Certificate in Liquid and Powder Nail Enhancements
- Level 2 Certificate in Gel Nail Enhancements
- Level 2 Certificate in Wrap Nail Enhancements
- Level 2 Award in Gel Polish Techniques
Opportunities for employment
There are opportunities for a manicurist/pedicurist to find employment in a variety of areas:
- Beauty salons
- Health clubs
- Own business
- Cruise liners
To be awarded the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Certificate in Manicure and Pedicure, learners must achieve the mandatory units.
The minimum GLH required to achieve this qualification is 50 The minimum TQT required to achieve this qualification is 140.
All treatment evidence, internal assessments, and underpinning knowledge must be completed prior to the final practical examination.
The final external practical examination will be carried out by the external examiner at the end of the period of learning. The external examiner will also verify a sample of the treatment evidence and internal assessment.