Certificate in Gel Nail Enhancements
Level 2 (RQF) NQF IE Level 4
Cost: €1,500 (combo course)
1/2 day per week for 16 weeks
Timetable: 13:00-16:00 Thursday's
Aims and Objectives
The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Certificate in Gel Nail Enhancements is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical and theoretical skills in order to provide nail treatments specialising in gel nail enhancements to the general public and to gain employment in the nail industry.
This qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 and over and is designed to provide occupational competence at level 2. It also provides a sound platform into further training at level 2 and 3.
This qualification is for learners who want to work within the nail industry. The qualification consists of 7 mandatory units with a total of 239 hours of Guided Learning (GL) to achieve the full qualification.
The main skills the learner will perform are:
- Care of the nails on the hand including hand massage and the application of polish
- Care of the nails on the feet including foot massage and the application of polish
- How to apply, maintain and remove gel nail enhancements
The design and application of nail art
The learner will also learn about the structure and functions of the nails and skin, contra-indications to treatment, nail and skin analysis, related health and safety and client care and communication which is essential in order to work and be successful in the industry.
This qualification also provides:
- The related knowledge and understanding required to perform the nail technology skills outlined above
- Opportunities for learners to focus on the development of their wider skills in a nail technology setting, such as communicating with clients, working with others and problem solving
- Opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in employment as a nail technician
Opportunities for progression
- Once learners have achieved the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Certificate in Gel Nail Enhancements they may progress on to other VTCT (ITEC) or equivalent qualifications at level 2 or 3 for example:
- Level 2 Certificate in Liquid and Powder Enhancements
- Level 2 Certificate in Wrap Nail Enhancements
- Level 3 Certificate in Nail Art
- Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology
Opportunities for employment
There are opportunities for nail technicians specialising in gel nail enhancements to find employment in a variety of areas:
- Beauty salons
- Health clubs
- Own business
- Cruise liners
To be awarded the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Certificate in Gel Nail Enhancements, learners must achieve all mandatory units.
The minimum GLH required to achieve this qualification is 239 The minimum TQT required to achieve this qualification is 290
All treatment evidence, performance evidence, assignments, internal assessments, and underpinning knowledge must be completed prior to the final practical examination.
The final external practical examination will be carried out by the external examiner at the end of the period of learning. The external examiner will also verify a sample of the treatment evidence, performance evidence, assignments and internal assessment.