Diploma in Beauty Specialist
Level 2 (RQF) NQF IE Level 4
2 days per week for 16 weeks
Timetable: 09:30-16:00 Monday's & Wednesday's, 18:00-21:00 Monday's & Wednesday's, 09:00-16:00 Saturday's
Aims and objectives
The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical and theoretical skills in order to provide beauty specialist treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the beauty therapy industry. The main skills the learner will perform are: Care of the skin - to include consultation, skin analysis, cleansing, exfoliation, facial massage and the use of face masks Care of the eyebrows and eyelashes - to include shaping and lash and brow tinting. Application of all make-up products - to include recognition of face shapes and corrective make-up Care of the hands and feet - to include nail care, exfoliation, massage and nail painting. Waxing - to include removal of hair using hot and warm wax methods.
We also offer all of the modules from our Beauty Specialist individually so you can study each one individually if you prefer.
This qualification is for learners who want to work within the beauty industry. The qualification consists of 5 mandatory units with a total of 300 hours of Guided Learning (GL) to achieve the full qualification.
The main skills the learner will perform are:
- Care of the skin - to include consultation, skin analysis, cleansing, exfoliation, facial massage and the use of face masks
- Care of the eyebrows and eyelashes - to include shaping and lash and brow tinting
- Application of all make-up products - to include recognition of face shapes and corrective make-up
- Care of the hands and feet - to include nail care, exfoliation, massage and nail painting
Waxing - to include removal of hair using hot and warm wax methods
The learner will also develop knowledge about related health and safety and client care and communication which is essential to work and be successful in the beauty industry.
This qualification also provides:
- The related knowledge and understanding required to perform the beauty treatments listed above as well as understanding the structures that the learner will be working over, in particular recognition of skin types, skin and nail diseases and reasons that may affect whether a client should or should not be treated
- Opportunities for learners to focus on the development of their wider skills in a beauty therapy setting, such as communicating with clients, working with others and problem solving
- Opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in employment as a beauty specialist
Students of The Institute of Beauty will be able to:
- Recognise skin types and disorders and rake appropriate action in selecting or advising clients about treatments and aftercare.
- Perform safe, hygienic, effective treatments to a commercially acceptable standard and timing in the following areas: Skin Care, Lash and Brow treatments, Electrical treatments to the face and neck, Face, neck & shoulder massage, Face masks, Make-up techniques, Nail treatments and Waxing treatments.
- Adapt treatments to suit the individual client’s needs by analysing information gathered at consultation, including contra-indications.
- Select, use and advise clients about skin care products and make-up for the face, and products for the hands and feet.
- Understand the basic key ingredients in cosmetic preparations.
- Understand the scientific principles of electrotherapy applied to the face and neck areas.
- Understand the importance of current local legislation appertaining to beauty employment.
Opportunities for progression
- Once learners have achieved the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists they may progress on to other VTCT (ITEC) or equivalent qualifications at level 2 or 3 for example:
- Level 2 Diploma in Hair, Photographic and Media Make-up
- Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- Level 3 Diploma in Body Treatments
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Beauty Therapy
- Level 3 Diploma in Facial Electrical Treatments
Opportunities for employment
There are opportunities for beauty specialists to find employment in a variety of areas:
- Beauty salons
- Health clubs
- Own business
- Cruise liners
To be awarded the VTCT (ITEC) Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists, learners must achieve all mandatory units.
The minimum GLH required to achieve this qualification is 300 The minimum TQT required to achieve this qualification is 390.
All treatment evidence, internal assessments, and underpinning knowledge must be completed prior to the final practical examination.
The final external practical examination will be carried out by the external examiner at the end of the period of learning. The external examiner will also verify a sample of the treatment evidence and internal assessment.