Diploma in Epilation
The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Epilation is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical and theoretical skills in order to provide epilation treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the beauty therapy industry.
Aims and objectives
The main aim of the VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Epilation is to enable learners to gain the necessary practical and theoretical skills in order to provide epilation treatments to the general public and to gain employment in the beauty therapy industry. This qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 and over and is designed to provide occupational competence at level 3. It also provides a sound platform into further training at level 3 and 4.
This qualification is for learners who want to work within the beauty industry. The qualification consists of 3 mandatory units with a total of 300 hours of Guided Learning (GL) to achieve the full qualification.
The main skills the learner will perform are:
Epilation–to include carrying out skin and hair analysis and using products, tools, equipment and techniques to suit the client’s treatment needs
The learner will also learn about related health and safety and client care and communication which is essential in order to work and be successful in the industry.
This qualification also provides:
- The related knowledge and understanding required to perform the epilation skills listed above effectively in particular the anatomy and physiology of the skin and hair and common diseases and disorders that may affect when a client should or should not receive treatment
- Opportunities for learners to focus on the development of their wider skills in an epilation setting, such as communicating with clients, working with others and problem solving
- Opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in employment as an electrologist
Students of The Institute of Beauty will be able to:
- Perform safe, hygienic and effective electrical epilation treatments to a commercially acceptable standard and timing.
- Adapt treatments to suit the individual client’s needs by analysing information gathered at consultation, including contra-indications.
- Understand the scientific principles of electrical epilation and its equipment and their effects on hair and tissues.
- Understand the importance of current legislation appertaining to beauty employment.
- Perform aftercare procedures immediately after electrical epilation treatment and give appropriate home care advice and management of the area in between treatments.
Opportunities for progression
- Once learners have achieved the VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Epilation they may progress on to other VTCT (ITEC) or equivalent qualifications at level 3 or 4 for example:
- Level 3 Diploma in Red Vein Treatment (after 2 years’ experience of epilation)
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Beauty Therapy
- Level 4 Diploma in Laser and Intense Pulsed Light Treatments
- Level 4 Award in Micro-Pigmentation
Opportunities for employment
- There are opportunities for electrologists to find employment in a variety of areas:
- Beauty salons
- Health clubs
- Own business
- Cruise liners
To be awarded the VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 Diploma in Epilation, learners must achieve all mandatory units.
The minimum GLH required to achieve this qualification is 300 The minimum TQT required to achieve this qualification is 444.
All treatment evidence, internal assessments, and underpinning knowledge must be completed prior to the final practical examination.
The final external practical examination will be carried out by the external examiner at the end of the period of learning. The external examiner will also verify a sample of the treatment evidence and internal assessment.
It is the responsibility of the centre to ensure that learners have the required knowledge, understanding and skills to enrol and successfully achieve this qualification.
It is recommended that learners must hold a Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Specialists or equivalent.